Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Looks like I'm actually going through with it...


So...this happened.
Yes, I've actually committed to running the Derby 10K. I've registered, chosen my shirt size, and speculated that I'll make it round the track in under 60 minutes. My fiance has entered too to offer moral support :)

My predicted time is a complete guess of course.  I'd like to think I could run 10K in under an hour, but progress lately has been lacking. Who would have thought that motivating oneself to run when tired, raining, or when pretty much anything else is preferable, would be so hard?

The countdown on the race website reassures me that there are 202 days until race day. That said, on the 5th April this year I embarked on a 12 week training programme that meant I should have run my first 10k distance at the end of June. It's now mid-September and I'm still lingering around week 3.  Yes, I quite agree, that is useless. It seems to reveal that I'm having difficulty getting into the habit of regular running exercise. Forming a new habit is hard. Some say it takes 21 days, but this article seems to dismiss that as a myth. Try more like 2 months, minimum.



So, given my appaling track record so far, why am I still toying with the notion of running a race next April. Well the first answer that springs to mind is I'd like to be more active.  I started this blog because I don't want to spend so much time doing sedentary activities. That said, I am under no delusion that it will be easy. Changing your lifestyle just isn't.

I have other reasons for wanting to race too. It'd be nice to prove to childhood Natasha that she can run after all. Cross country running at school was traumatic at best, and certainly didn't enamour me with the sport. Back then I was of the view that running simply wasn't for me, and that I couldn't be fit enough to do it.

I'd also like to just feel fitter in general.  My stamina has always been dreadful.  I don't have much that could fairly be described as muscle, and am tired of having little energy.

So I'm not backing out. I simply need some sort of motivator to stay on track. So I'm going to up the stakes. I'm supposed to be running 3 times a week during my 12 week programme, so 36 runs (by which time I should be able to run the race distance). For each run that I miss I shall donate £2 to Nottingham Forest Community Trust. This idea was sparked by an article by Tim Ferriss, where he pointed out that people tend to have more success in reaching their goals when they commit a donation to an 'anti-charity' if they fail. An anti charity is just a charity they'd rather their money didn't go to, so one that fights for a cause they don't believe in.  Now, just to be clear, I DON'T regard Nottingham Forest Community Trust as an anti-charity.  It promotes physical activity, health and well being, and diverts young people away from crime and anti-social behaviour. It's programmes are great and you find out about them here.

I chose the charity on the sole basis that as a Derby County supporter, it makes an ironic choice. (Incidentally the Derby 10K is organised by the Derby County Community Trust, so doubly ironic. The DCCT is another super charity that does great work and you can check them out here.)

So, if I stay on track, hurray, progress. If I miss a few outings a good cause gets some cash. Let's see if this produces any improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts