Pages

Friday, August 24, 2018

Running in the rain

So I finally went running in the rain. It was funny how my feelings towards doing so changed throughout the run.
1) Go out the door into the wet. Thoughts: Why am I doing this? It's cold out here. I'm going to get soaked. People do this for fun?
2) Start running. Thoughts: Ok, as long as I keep this up I guess I won't be cold. No seriously, people do this for fun?

3) Mid run. Feet are soaked. Not fun. What's wrong with people?
4) Made it back. Thoughts: How virtuous of me. I prioritised exercise over comfort. I must get some brownie points for this. Oh wait, getting cold again, better stick my trainers on the dehumidifier and dry myself off.



Whilst it is rather virtuous to go out into the foul weather it's hard to ascertain the pay-off, at least at this stage when progress is slow and my fitness isn't visibly improving. That said, in the rain I definitely did something that felt a whole lot more like running than I usually do. I was faster, more upright, and generally more determined about the whole thing (well you have to be or you just go back in the dry).

I've been out a few times since the last post. The first time after a long break without running I seriously paid for it. Lungs were on fire and the strain on my legs left them in a jellyish state afterwards. The following morning my quads made me scream the house down when the lightest pressure brushed against them, and they objected strongly to any bending motion I was foolish enough to try. The lesson: If you start running again after a few weeks break you will be severely punished for your disobedience.

The one plus is that my lungs adjusted to the idea of running again quite quickly, so after the initial shock, on the second run they managed much better.

I invested in a lightweight running jacket as the weather in the Scottish Highlands has been becoming noticeably more autumnal later.  Something to keep the wind and rain out was essential and as the nights start creeping in earlier and earlier, something reflective was essential too. I opted for this jacket by Trespass, which ticks all the boxes. While the reviews point out it's not especially breathable, that sort of thing pushes up the price, and I'm happy to make do while I'm a struggling novice.

I can't say for certain I'll be fit enough to run 5k non stop next month in the fun run, but I'll give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts