Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2018

New hat!

Like my trendy hat? Ok, maybe trendy isn't the word. About 95% of hats look ridiculous on me so I knew my new running hat wasn't going to look stylish. Embracing this notion I chose the loudest, most garish hat I could find, and voila! A hat with happy snails all over it. If nothing else, I guess it will make me more visible to drivers.

I bought the hat because last time I went running in the rain I couldn't see the road I was running on through the droplets on my glasses. The snail hat has been a 100% success as my run in the rain today has been visible from start to finish. Not a drop on my glasses.

So far it's a pretty rubbish week to return to running with renewed vigour. "Storm Ali" has made running challenging as gale force winds and ceaseless rain bombard Scotland.  I've been waiting for it to ease off, which is why it's Thursday and I just completed the first run of the week.  It's not advisable to run on consecutive days but I'm going to have to to keep on track.  Let's hope the weather brightens up over the weekend.

I restarted my 10K training programme today and was pleasantly surprised.  Although my previous efforts at training were pretty abysmal they seem to have made a difference as my lungs were coping all right.  When the bell on my interval trainer rang at the start of each walk period, I always felt as though I could have run for longer.  So that's positive.  Let's see how the rest of the week goes.

In addition to running I've been doing some cross-training.  I recently acquired a bike off someone locally with the intention of adding some cycling into my training.  This is a little optimistic, as I'm basically a complete newbie on the bike too. Last time I rode one was about 20 years ago, and that was a kid's bike without gears.  Might be a bit of a steep learning curve, but the good intentions are there.

I've been keeping up with the pilates and strength training too.  Anything to build some muscle and improve my balance. (My first go on the bike demonstrated just how appalling my balance is.) Things can only improve, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts