Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Week 3

The first run of Week 3 marks a landmark for me, as today was the first run where I did more running than walking.  Am I happy? Yes. Do I feel good? No. My calves are on fire. Never have I wanted a foam roller so much.  Sadly as my run finished at my place of work I shall have to wait until I get home to foam roll my sore legs. The moment I got here I did some quite urgent post-run stretches, but my legs know they've done something today. That's the first time the discomfort in my legs has outweighed the discomfort in my lungs. In a weird way it served as a useful distraction from my breathing, which usually gets my full attention. I'm looking forward to the moment where I can redirect my focus to the beautiful landscape around me, but I reckon I have a few weeks of training ahead of me before 'enjoying my run' will become a thing. As an added bonus today...no rain!!!


My impresions of my training regime so far are positive. Today I ran 6 intervals of 3 minutes running and 2 minutes walking. I couldn't have done that a few weeks ago. I still worry when I see week 4 requires 5 minutes of uninterrupted running, as that still seems optimistic, but I shall trust for now that my week 3 training will get me there.  After all, until recently 3 minutes of uninterrupted running was impossible.  

I should mention the App I use for my interval training. It's simply called Interval Timer and I like it because it's very simple. Just type in the desired minutes work and minutes rest and the number rounds then go. There are probably much fancier ones out there, but this one does what I need it to and is free. Here's a screenshot from today's training.
Onwards and upwards. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts