Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2018

More to think about.


So I finally went for a short run to try out my new shoes. Having only worn very cheap trainers before the difference in comfort was very noticeable. The new shoes were VERY comfy to run in. More importantly, no foot pain along the outer edges, so very happy so far. Yes one blistered the back of my heel a little, but every pair of new shoes I've ever worn has done the same. I expect this to stop once they've been worn a few times.

My fiance accompanied me on this run, partly for moral support and partly to observe me running. He's a far more experienced runner than I am, so I was happy to receive some critical feedback. The whole situation was a little comical. My fiance is a lot taller and fitter than I am, so imagine a graceful gazelle running circles around me as I staggered along somewhat less gracefully. He could run ahead of me, backwards, and I couldn't match his speed. Now that might sound infuriating, but as it happens it was quite useful, as he immediately shouted "your legs are flicking out to the sides behind you". I had no idea I was doing this, so there you go. When starting out running it can be helpful to take a gazelle with you. I was worried when he offered to run with me at first because I thought he'd find the pace cripplingly slow and that the whole experience might be a bit tedious for him (he's competed in triathlons and other races before), but he offered so I said why not. If you have a runner friend or colleague who offers to do the same then take them up on it. Their tips and observations may be helpful.



I was pleasantly surprised that my muscles didn't object too much on this run. They weren't in pain and were happy to keep going. Pity they were thwarted by my lungs. Ah stamina, my old enemy. Memories of cross country running at school came flooding back. My lungs just couldn't sustain me for that distance, so there was lots of running/walking/running (which I'm supposed to be doing anyway according to my 10k training plan so not too upset).

So what about this kicking out to the sides that my fiance picked up on? Well, after some (MORE) Internet research, I discovered this is known as 'medial heel whip' or 'adductory twist' and it is an indicator of weak glutes and weak external rotator muscles. So, I now have some specific muscles to work on strengthening. We'll see if it makes a difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts